Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goals

I've often wondered why we set goals. Most of the time I have grand ideas ("delusions of grandeur" to quote Han Solo). These grand ideas seem perfectly attainable at the time, but somehow the more I live with the idea, the more impossible and laughable it seems. Why do I do this to myself?

Anyway, I attended Time Out for Women about a month ago. The theme of the tour was Choose to Become. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this idea. It's so easy for me to get caught up in the moment and loose sight of the overall picture. As I've focused on Becoming rather than doing, it has helped me keep my focus. Goals are supposed to help track our progress towards whatever we're Becoming. So, I'm trying to change my grandiose goals to more trackable, realistic accomplishments. Right now I'm focusing on reading and writing.
  • Goal #1: Write everyday. It can be a letter, email, blog entry, or journal entry. Thoughts must get out of my head and onto paper or computer.
  • Goal #2: Read everyday. Scriptures first, good literature second. It doesn't have to be great literature, just something that fills my soul (apart from the spiritual feast the scriptures provide).
  • Goal #3: Develop a talk or lesson weekly. I teach RS once a month, so that takes care of one week. Fill the rest of the month with lessons or talks that can be pulled at the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment