Friday, September 24, 2010

Amazing Texas Life

I've been amazed at how different Texas is. Not different in a bad way, just different than my previous experience in California. For instance, we drove out to a small town about 30 minutes from San Antonio and as we were driving through, I was amazed that people ride their horses to get something to drink. We passed two local bars with horses parked in front! Then we passed what looked like a 1978 Cadillac with a chicken head on the roof and it's tail coming out of the trunk. Down the road there was a large trailer with the largest pair of longhorns I've ever seen, painted red white and blue. Patriotism is very big here! Literally.

One of the things I love about Texas is how proud people are of being Texans. Texas flags are more common than the stars and stripes. Even in school there is a pledge of allegiance to the Texas flag. It feels good to be a part of something bigger than myself. Texas is definitely bigger.

The weather has been amazing. I've lived in dry climates my entire life. Change in temperature has been the norm. Daytime highs and nightime lows could fluctuate 40+ degrees and it would feel good to me. After we moved here, the weatherman reported that after 3 weeks of 80 degrees as the low, it was finally going to get cool. Hooray! I'm thinking low 60s is going to feel so good! Nope. "Cool" means below 80. How do people live like this? Surprisingly, I walked outside in the early morning hours and it was about 72. And it felt cool to me! With this warmer, humid weather I've experienced more rain, more clouds, and more rainbows too. It's a good thing the sky is bigger here.

Although there are a lot of things I miss about California, there are so many new things here to get excited about. I can't wait to see what's next...

No comments:

Post a Comment